[NTLK] Next followup on EM300 and SER-001 boards

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 04:47:55 EDT 2018

Hi Frank,

> On 30 Aug 2018, at 02:37, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
>> I must admit that I?m not sure if I understand. You need to pay $600 for 5 boards?
>
> Yep. The reason is that they will only run YOUR board through the machines.
> This, of course, is much more expensive than making a huge board that
> contains the boards of many customers. This is also the reason that 5 boards
> will set you back 600 Euros, but 50 boards only set you back 630 Euros. The
> expensive part is manufacturing the equipment they need to make and test
> your boards.
>
>> That link which I sent you: You have 10 boards (0.8mm) for $12 + shipping cost? So, why you want pay $600 when you can pay $12?
>
> Of course, I don't want to pay 600 bucks. But until an hour ago I wasn't
> aware of the link I sent you. The reason I chose Beta Layout is fourfold.
> For one, I have dealt with them successfully before having a 3D print of a
> 2x00 battery holder made. Secondly, they are a German company that I can
> phone and talk to using my native language. Thirdly, boards manufactured
> with the PCB-Pool system come with a free stencil. That's sturdy a stainless
> steel foil with recesses where solder paste must be applied. Thus you can
> simply put the soldering paste on with a spatula, which makes manual
> component placement much easier and the overall result much better.
> Fourthly, they will do an electrical test for all boards they deliver. Thus
> you can be sure that any unexpected results aren't due to a faulty board.
>
> For now, all I want is check out if what I plan is feasible, and that the
> layout data I got from David will still, after all those years, provide me
> with usable boards. Once I've verified this, I will most likely turn to some
> more affordable board supplier.

I understand whole process of making PCBs because I worked 2 years in that kind of company in Scotland, in SMT and (sometimes) in PCB department. I know the cost are that high when you asking for custom/individual process.

Now I understand that your choice is more from internal need to support domestic business and good cooperation in the past. I understand it as much as possible.

My point was only to show you, that is possible to dramatically reduce costs without sacrificing quality. That is all.

Cheers,
Pawel