[NTLK] NOOB Questions

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 16:42:45 EST 2018

Hi!

> On 20 Feb 2018, at 17:10, Fritz Toch <birddog at me.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. Not exactly a new user, as I owned an OMP, a 2100, and an Emate way back when, but definitely not current.
> I’m getting a decent-condition Emate shortly. I hope to use it as a distraction-free writing platform. I know that the battery pack needs rebuilding, and the screen still works. Questions:
> 1. I don’t know if it has the memory expansion. Is PCBMan still around?

Can be hard to find it.

> 2. Connectivity: would bluetooth sharing be the best way to go? Someone in Germany is selling new Pico Bluetooth cards on eBay for a decent price.

Forget about BT. Just use WiFi card with NCX app (on Mac OS X).

> 3. NCU is basically useless now I suppose, does anything sync to desktop contacts/calendar/notes/Works on modern PC or Mac OS?

NCX for Mac OS X. Really cool, however not everything working great (I have always problem to do full beckup). So, I’m using old PowerBook and NCU.

Here you have list of WiFi card: http://applenewton.co.uk/list-of-wifi-cards-compatible-with-apple-newton-2x00-and-emate-300/ <http://applenewton.co.uk/list-of-wifi-cards-compatible-with-apple-newton-2x00-and-emate-300/>

Here you have my small WiFi and AP test I’ve done some time ago: http://applenewton.co.uk/2017/04/26/apple-newton-2x00-wifi-hardware-compatibility-test-2017/

> 4. Is there a marketplace here for hardware?

I’m thinking about to create something like this. At this moment only this list and eBay, I think...

> 5. Who is still selling apps for Newton? I will support developers if I can.

I wish to know too :)

> 6. Thinking about the overclock instructions from Stephanie Maks. Anyone have comments on the long-term usefulness/reliability of this? Think it will break Bluetooth communication while overclocked?

Yes, you can have communication problem, but there is a switch you can back to original speed.

> Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Pawel Piotrowski

Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>