[NTLK] AA battery trays

Jeff Sheldon jeffsheldon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:45:29 EST 2018

Tony,

Thanks for posting these links.  I had forgotten all about this and
boy does that look good, thin or not.  Here's the GitHub location for
the STL file.  It would be great to see this on Thingiverse.com for
more exposure and paid-print options, but anyone with a 3D printer can
use that STL file.

https://github.com/davisr/Newton-MP2x00-AA-Battery-Tray

I think people are missing an opportunity here.  Why use 4x AA
Alkaline batteries?  What about a tray with the same outer dimensions
and form, but different battery source and charging circuit
internally?

Some MP100 specs pulled from the web (characteristics which mostly
apply throughout all 4-cell MessagePads):

"Uses 6V AAA alkaline batteries which last 14 hours, and a 4.8V NiCd
battery which lasts 4 hours."

So at peak, 4.8-6 VDC to power a MessagePad through the battery port.

The power circuit is also so touchy with poorly regulated power
supplies that one could make a rechargeable Li-Ion power battery pack
and isolate the charging circuitry to a micro-USB socket on the side
which could become the "new" power port.  Then we could use the
multitude of USB-based charger cables and devices while keeping the
batteries topped off.

Davis' battery tray design is the perfect for starting point.

-Jeff

--
-Jeff