[NTLK] Newton used for Mac diagnostics?

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Tue Jul 24 09:47:21 EDT 2018

>>> On Jul 23, 2018, at 6:41 PM, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m at Macstock conference in Illinois, and someone asked me if I ever heard of the Newton device which was used to run Mac diagnostics at Mac retailers. Does anyone know anything about this device?
>> On Jul 23, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Grant Hutchinson <splorp at me.com> wrote:
>> Hrm, that's a new one for me.
>>
>> Maybe they were thinking of a TechStep?
>>
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20091117120447/http://www.forcedperfect.net/hardware/other/techstep/>
>>
>> (I have a couple of these, too.)
> On 2018-07-24 12:28 AM, L.W. Brown wrote:
> > Just incredible! That there was such an animal, and that you have one!!

Grant has at least one of everything, as far as I can tell.  It has been
said that his basement is actually bigger on the inside, like a TARDIS.

That TechStep thing reminds me of a LAN cable tester, like the Fluke 620
at my office, but on steroids.  I like the idea of software to test the
tester... as said Fluke cable tester actually has a flaky test port.

-V