[NTLK] Love Notes to Newton

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Wed Jul 25 11:53:12 EDT 2018

> On Jul 25, 2018, at 12:53 AM, Eckhart Köppen <eck at 40hz.org> wrote:
>
> considering how the Internet has developed over the last decade. Maybe it's just not worth connecting to it anymore.

This is something I think about _all the time_.  I don't think the majority mainstream will ever turn away from always-on connectivity, because the net benefit (or at least perceived benefit) is so much greater for them than the alternative.

But there's a smaller group of people returning to dumbphones, analog notepads, and other "slow" tech, and they might see the appeal.  I wonder what, in 2018, an offline device that only checks in occasionally to pull new data might look like.  How could a Palm HotSync, to pick an example, be different in the present day?

I also like to think about pocketable headless computers (Raspberry Pi, etc) and if there's some sort of role they could play as sources of large amounts of data that you can carry around and pull information from but which don't maintain an always-on connection to the greater internet.  Like a.. pocket "wiki box" or something.  I don't have any concrete ideas, but it's something I love to ponder if anyone wants to get a discussion going.  :)

Steven