[NTLK] Love Notes: Restarting Newton development?!

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 22:02:29 EDT 2018

Hi Sylvain,

> About the conference.
>
> Here we are with two conferences that are proposed! Thank you both for these offers. My opinion is that no matter the place if it is done well. The important thing is that as many people as possible can come. If Matthias has a local, it's a big financial advantage. In the past, there was the WWNA (Worldwide Newton Association), which had organized several conferences. Ronie Simon was the president and Paul Guyot was the treasurer, the association was registered in France, and I helped Paul a little for certain things. But this association has not been active since 2009 (https://web.archive.org/web/20090428193954/http://worldwide-newton.asso.eu.org:80/)
> The advantage was that funds could be managed to finance conferences and other events. But do not hide your face. Today there are far fewer people still active on Newton. Starting with Paul who was the central pillar of the WWNA association.
> If the conference is in Europe, few Americans and Caniadiens will be able to come (the trip is expensive, in addition there is the accommodation). Ditto, if the convetion had occurred in the States (or Canada) few Europeans could come. But for the moment we have two benefactors who wish to organize this in Europe. Above all, do not fight!

I completely agree with you. And to be clear, I don’t even think about any fight! I just put my question to ask NTG Users about their opinion. No matter where we organise this event - that will be great! (but Edinburgh is really great to visit XD LOL)

> Today we can manage the financial aspect of the organization with online services "piggy bank" without having to manage too much administrative, apart from the organization itself.
> I think we should first ask ourselves some good questions:
> - What would be the purpose (s) of this conference

I think that event will be more like opportunity to meet each other, talk in person, exchange experience, spend some good time together and talk about some project (like Matthias said in original email), etc.

> - Who would be the speakers

I think every participant could prepare something good. I think you, Sylvain, Matthias, Frank and couple other 'Newton Magicians’ could prepare really great presentations (maybe some workshops? :) ).

> - What would be the number of “visitors"

In my original post (couple weeks ago) I saw about 6-8 people. But I’m sure we end up with higher number :)

> - Would the adminssion be free or paid

I think should be for free. Maybe some small fees to cover food, caffe, conference room (Matthias have it for free :) ). No one want to make money on it, so only necessary fees.

> We could, for example, try to bring together all the speakers of Noah's documentary, it's already quite a lot (provided they all come with a Newton T-Shirt ;-))
>
> But I already propose to see how the NewtonTalk list subscribers react, and how much would be interested to come (as visitors or speakers), it would give an idea of ​​the interest of this conference.
>
> The floor is yours.

What you say, Newtons? :)

Cheers,
Pawel