[NTLK] Newton 2100 startup sound

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Wed Mar 28 11:31:51 EDT 2018

For some reason, this question and its replies piqued my interest and
put me down a rabbit hole.  (The good kind, the kind that's fun to explore)

My data manipulation side said to me "that should be easy!  the sounds
are in the ROM somewhere, just extract them!"

tl;dr:  it looks easy but it's not that easy but I got an extremely
clean copy nevertheless.

Most (all?) the sounds in the OS 2.x ROM have, from NewtonScript, magic
pointers assigned to them.  There is a little app I found on UNNA called
ROMSND2 that walks all of the magic pointers, finds the ones with the
correct class, and lets you play them.  Seems easy to find.  The startup
sound seems to be at magic pointer @16 ... and @289?  I wanted to use
ViewFrame to extract the raw data through NTK Inspector, or maybe
through Sloup, but I can't get Einstein and its not-quite-working
pseudo-serial port to do anything.  My actual 2100 is put away.

The sounds themselves (most? all?) are not simple uncompressed sound
samples.  They use a NewtonOS sound codec called "TDTMFCodec" which is
sort of like QuickDraw, but for sounds?  I don't know.  The Newton
Research project has an implementation of this codec.

I also ran into the fact that I haven't been able to build Einstein on
Linux (Fedora Linux 27 on x86) in a while.  So first I fixed that, and
then I realized that sound wasn't working, so now I'm working on fixing
that.  I have sound output but the PortAudio stuff is b0rked and sound
is very very choppy.  I want to fix that though.

On the other hand, I have a Mac Mini and xCode, and Einstein runs great
there, and Audio Hijack exists, so .... here you go ... recorded
straight out of the Emulator and trimmed.

https://ritsuko.chuma.org/Newton_2.0_startup_sound.wav