[NTLK] Einstein binary pre-release with BasiliskII/serial port support

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sat May 12 19:49:54 EDT 2018

> On May 13, 2018, at 01:00, Bastian Müller <bastian at turbolent.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Just tried it out and I can report the "BasiliskII" serial port emulation works great!
>
> I used to use the named pipe serial port emulation of the previous pre-release of
> Einstein and the following socat command to create a pseudo terminal, but the new
> direct support is much nicer.
>
> socat -d -d PTY,rawer,mode=666,echo=0,link=$HOME/einstein \
>            PIPE:$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/Einstein\ Emulator/ExtrSerPortSend\!\!PIPE:$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/Einstein\ Emulator/ExtrSerPortRecv
>
> Well done!

Thanks. Internally, I do pretty much what your socat command does. There is one bug in BasiliskII that locks the emulator in an endless loop every time when closing the serial connection. Einstein solves this by guessing when BasiliskII tries to close the port and instead removes the port from within Einstein. That causes BasiliskII to leave the endless loop. It would be easy to fix this in Basilisk, but I was not able to compile Basilisk again on my machine, and I want to avoid that users have to download a "special version" of Basilisk.

The socat to combine named pipes is very helpful!

> I also used a similar trick to connect NCU in a OS 9 installation running in Qemu
> to Einstein and will try this new release soon.
>
> Any reason the latest release ships as a .pkg? Any chance to just get the
> Einstein.app as a zip?

Nothing particular. Xcode did that by itself after I signed the app. Uploading the app alone is no problem at all.

Thanks for testing!

 Matthias