[NTLK] Autoserver: Tweet from @bryanstearns

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Fri Jul 19 10:51:58 EDT 2019

I found a bunch of old CDs with back ups on them this weekend. I spent all
day loading software and files onto my Sheepshaver and BasiliskII virtual
machines, reliving those heady days! I was even able to rescue as pdfs a
couple of my old PublishIt! Easy files. Also found a bunch of old Newton
software, including my Newtonbook collection, containing... (drumroll), the
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and four or five books of the Hitchhiker's Guide
to the Galaxy trilogy! I have been able preserve my LOTR books as other
etexts, but thought I had lost my HHG2G books! That was quite a pleasant
surprise. :-D

But here's the thing. I don't think I'd ever want to go back to those
times. In some ways, it all feels so primitive! Opening my old files, and
remembering how limited, for instance, PiE was, or Nisus 5 and 6, and even
ClarisWorks. I thought that when Apple "regressed" Pages a few years ago,
to bring feature parity between the desktop, iOS and web, that it was a
huge step backwards, but it was still ahead of CW 4. Hardware was cool,
then, though. Now, all we have is non-user-servicable toasters ;-)

 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<jonglass at usa.net>