[NTLK] Frustrating cables

Martin Ossio martinossio at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 17:13:26 EDT 2019

Hi Ruff,

I bought the cable you recommended me, and for the interest of experimenting for the greater knowledge of  Newtonkind, I also bought the dongle adapter  alternative and the eBook Box Nova Pro (for Einstein experiments).

I can now confirm that the Dongle works perfectly!  This one is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUZ0K68/ <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUZ0K68/>

Although I did have some initial problems, all because of my fault and the 3 versions that I had on NCX installed at the moment.
Some share the same Version 3.0.2 (67), but this is no indication at all of anything, since both are actually different internally.

I was looking at a too fast version, that did not have the Newton Maximum speed limit of 38K as an option. But after trying another version of NCX, it all worked out at the end.

Also I had to select the dongle in the options.

I did manage to connect successfully a Newton 2100 (it looks like, one, but advertised is a 2000 upgraded, but no sticker to confirm this), to a MacBook Pro 3.1 Ghz  i7  running Mac OS X 10.14.4.

Then I installed the speed upgrade package (and everything else) to the Newton, I re-configured to the next speed.
It all worked enough, to extract my ROM file for my Einstein (in the hope that LunaSuite would work as well in my Eintein, that in my physical Newton, but it did not).

Have you tried with a different version of NCU? What is your combination?

Have you tried the standard version at:

https://newtonresearch.org/connection/NCX302.dmg

And finally, can you install the suggested packages for communication? and then try from there?

if not, I will try to find the cable you suggested to try to see if I can replicate you problem.

BTW: I have not modified my original Windows to Newton cable.

Martin