[NTLK] Frustrating cables

Martin Ossio martinossio at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 12:37:53 EDT 2019

Hi Rufus,

Please use the slowest setting first, but above all, the speed should match the setting on the Newton, being just "Serial" I believe 38,400 with the one in the Mac.

Once everything works, it is then the best time to try faster ones. Not before.

I remember you said you modified at one point the Newton to Windows cable.

Have you changed the order of the Pins by any chance?
Could there be a false contact?

I believe trying it on another machine seems to be a good idea too.

I have now tried the cable you suggested me, and in the middle of thing, got an -10007 error, but it was because of my fault (the Newton connector moved). I then tried it again, and it all worked fine.

Mind you that I used the cable you suggested me, with an unmodified Windows to Newton cable.

At the end of the backup, the NCX seems to finish first, and the Newton was still up to something for a while after, but it ended OK without error, after some time.

If you are getting the -10007 error, it could maybe a physical cable hardware failure of some sort.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck, and please tell how it went with the other Mac.

Best wishes,

Martin