[NTLK] New 2100 owner - Question about data storage and spare parts

Sylvain Pilet sylvain at pilet.net
Thu May 23 15:56:20 EDT 2019

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the owners of MessagePad 2x00 :-)
It has always been difficult to find PCMCIA memory cards compatible with the Newtons. Because the majority of the cards manufactured were cards for some routers, these cards are really worn. But it is also true that today it is becoming so difficult to find CompactFlash (CF) cards, but it is still easier to find, and above all much cheaper. Personally I use 32Mb Maps, which are in my opinion the maximum that should be used with Newtons, beyond that it is too big and slow NewtonOS if the map starts to be too full. The best thing is to have 16Mb. I use a SanDisk CF/PCMCIA adapter that was sold with a CF at the time. To be honest, I had bought a lot of CFs from a photo store, which no longer knew what to do with its CFs that no one else was buying!
Now, if anyone on the NewtonTalk list has a plan, to get new PCMCIA Memory Cards at a correct price, let them know, I think many of us want them. As a reminder, CF cards (ATA) require the ATA-Support driver from Paul Guyot (http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/ATA/ATA-Support-1.0.pkg).

I would help you with the spare parts for your 2100, but I am in France, and given the price of shipping costs, it is better to find it locally first in my opinion.

Sylvain Pilet

http://message-pad.net
http://messagepad.no-ip.org:3680 [NPDS Tracker]