[NTLK] MP130 backlight replacement

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Wed Apr 22 20:21:48 EDT 2020

> I want to learn how to PROPERLY open up my MessagePad 130 so I can replace
its defective backlight (it?s barely visible and flickers a lot).

Teardown instructions are in the hardware section of my site. But you can't
replace the defective backlight separately, you'd have to replace the whole
LCD unit. Chances are good, though, that your Newton suffers from what I
describe on said disassembly page. If this is the case, replacing the
backlight isn't necessary.

In some rare cases it can happen that the backlight only flickers when the
Newton is assembled. I've had that two times in as many decades. In these
cases the backlight will work hunky dory while the display is lying next to
the Newton.

Good luck!

Frank