[NTLK] Starting up NewtonScript programming

Pawel Piotrowski newton at indigi.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 14:12:40 EDT 2020

> On 23 Apr 2020, at 17:54, Steven Frank via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 23, 2020, at 6:56 AM, Michael Hurley via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2020, at 7:12 PM, Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Good news. I managed to compile new version for every platform that now features a unified user interface, drag'n'drop to install packages, and the serial-via-network link.
>>>
>>> I also managed to finally compile a special version of BasiliskII for all platforms (Linux, MacOS, and yes, MSWindows), so there is no longer an excuse: you all can start to write NewtonScript app now ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, the Einstein app now REQUIRES Catalina. I’m on still running Mojave.6 to keep my Creative Suite. Einstein has a stop symbol on the icon and gives a warning about requiring 10.15 when I try to launch it.
>
> I haven't looked at Matthias's changes, but this is probably just a matter of it having been built targeting the 10.15 SDK.  I don't expect there's any code change that actually _requires_ Catalina.  Assuming not, it should be fixable by setting the target to the lowest SDK that's still supported by Xcode, and making sure the values in the Info.plist correctly reflect that target version also.
>
> Matthias, I'd also be happy to donate the cost of an Apple Developer Program membership to the project, so you can distribute signed and notarized Mac builds that launch without all those nasty warning dialogs.  :)

I’m happy to donate too. Maybe we could organise some Patreon donations. I’m pretty sure a few people could join and then we all could help to develop this awesome project. After all, when all our physical Newtons will die, at least Einstein will still work.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>