[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 74, Issue 13

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 16 16:29:28 EST 2020

Frank, well thought out as always.

The question that came to mind for me, though, was this: as a veteran of small devices in the 90s (like probably most of us here), did the Newton really fail us because of its poor synchronization qualities, or are these things we now take for granted, so the disappointment is in hindsight?

For example: I remember being in a hotel room in New Mexico in the mid 90s, hundreds of miles from home, and marveling that I could type a two-page fax on my Zaurus ZR-5800’s tiny keyboard and send it to my boss’s office fax in Phoenix through the phone line; I could also email (using ATTNet email at that time) the same way, and receive as well. These are of course the days before WiFi (at least, widespread) and cellular service (again, widespread and inexpensive). And, that I could write an email virtually anywhere and, when I got to a landline that I could plug into, sent it off and read new ones as well.

These were not qualities exclusive to the Zaurus—pretty much all PDAs during this time could do the same. The Zaurus benefited from a physical keyboard, and its RuppLynx desktop synchronization was excellent. But in just about everything else, the Newton was far superior.

Particularly since the arrival of the iPhone (and what has followed) we have come to expect uneventful synchronization of all our data. But this was not always the case.

In those days I really disliked the Palm, mostly I think because it did and had things other PDAs—like the Newton and Zaurus I owned—did not. Full color, great GUI. I guess I was jealous. It wasn’t until I got HP’s iPAQ rx3715 that I realized what all the Palm fuss was about.

It’s been said before and worth noting again how different manufacturers viewed the importance of various functions. The machines that “made it” got most of them right; those that did not—and the creators missed badly—failed. Sadly the MP2x00’s lack of color screen, its larger size, affordability and poor synchronization—again, compared to machines like the Palm—doomed an otherwise excellent device.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 11