[NTLK] Palm vs. Newton

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 18 06:38:43 EST 2020

Every year or so I get out all my various PDA-type devices and check to be certain they still function I replace batteries (though I prefer to store most without due to corrosion fears), and re-evaluate if they could be used today for any functions.

As you might well imagine, the answer to that last point—even after much wishful thinking and deep thought—is “no”. Sadly, with each passing year it’s more and more NO (as if NO itself had various degrees of NO-ness).

Each year, they become more and more obsolete—again, if there are various degrees of obsolete-ness. (And I would argue that there probably are.)

It’s the sheer joy of using the devices again! Yeah, I could type sooo much faster and better with an external keyboard connected to my iPad Pro than the Newton MP2100 with its external keyboard. (Don’t even consider the virtual one.)

But it’s not as much FUN.

And that’s the core of it. There is just so much time. It takes waaay longer to execute most functions on these older machines, and time is just so precious. It outweighs in most cases the joy of nostalgia, of using an older favorite machine. That, and most times said machine just can’t do it any more (try connecting to the Internet with Windows CE, circa 2002, like that found on my HP Jornada—good luck browsing anywhere meaningful).

I greatly enjoy writing on my Data General One Model 2T, with its early version of a backlit display and hard (fixed) drive that sounds like a small vacuum cleaner—and it has a real keyboard that clickity-clicks so nicely with great tactile feedback, not the mushy feel of these modern things. Yes, any writing is confined to that device UNLESS I want to save the file to a 3 1/2” floppy (dual density) and then put that disk into my Beige G3, itself way obsolete. But, there I can access the disk and either email the contents to myself or burn to a CD or DVD.

Oh I almost forgot: it’s written using Word Perfect (4.2 no less). Uh oops. Well, I guess not. (Unless I take the disk to another obsolete machine, with WP on it. Another set of hoops.)

It’s just not practical to write with it any more. As Frank says, there are better and faster devices now.

“Life is easier if you try to use the gadget that can do a particular job best.” Amen, and well said.

So, the machines get put away again until next year.

Or, until I finally realize they are only taking up space and I should just move on and sell them.

*sigh*

But even so, I’ll still write stuff on my Data General One. Because, you know, I can. And, I’m stubborn that way.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile 6th Generation iPad 9.7"