[NTLK] How to open .bin file

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Sun Jan 26 00:03:13 EST 2020

On 2020-01-14 4:20 a.m., Sylvain Pilet wrote:
> Hi Pawel and all,
>
> The file k-diags-1.4.3.bin.gz (k-diags-1.4.3.bin) is not corrupted!
> If I remember correctly, this file is not a standard .bin file but a binary image of the 1 Mb Flash card called K-Diags, which was used to test the eMate 300's. Therefore it cannot be readable as a file since it is a "clone" of a PCMCIA Flash card.
> There was a thread about this image at this address :
> https://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=152591621004583&w=2

What Sylvain said is correct - it's not a MacBinary file, but a simple
dump of binary data.

I just re-read the message cited above, which was a reply to one of my
messages about trying to boot the K Diags image in the Einstein emulator
back 2018.  I recall trying a whole lot of different things to try to
get it to boot as an emulated linear flash card.  I wish I had made
better notes :(  I recall finding out that perhaps Einstein's linear
flash emulation wasn't working for me or had some other shortcoming.  I
even spent some time stepping through the early ROM boot code to see
where and how it would check for the presence of the K Diags card.  Also
I tried to get that image file back onto a linear flash card using a PC
to try to boot it in a real eMate, also without success.

But now I'm thinking about it again and wondering... why would K Diags
have an option to copy itself to internal flash?  Once you do it, what
happens?  Has anyone done it?  If you did, could you then dump all the
internal flash blocks out the serial port, and then boot Einstein with
that flash file and then would it work?

Maybe I just need to mail a blank card to someone and have them make me
a dang copy of my own.

-Victor