[NTLK] How to open .bin file

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Sun Jan 26 18:20:39 EST 2020

On 2020-01-26 9:37 a.m., Pawel Piotrowski wrote:
>> Also I tried to get that image file back onto a linear flash card using a PC to try to boot it in a real eMate, also without success.
> Ho did you try that? What software did you use?

Using the only old laptop I still have with a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot (circa
2005), and trying a wide variety of even older software. Tried some very
old Linux distributions, DOS software - though finding DOS drivers for
200x machines is hard - and even early Windows stuff

> If think there must be a way to do it, as the .bin file was made somehow. So, the writing must be possible too.
The .bin file was made by starting an eMate with the K Diags card, and
using the built-in ROM Monitor to read the memory range of the card out
the serial port to another computer. To my knowledge, the .bin file has
never been successfully used to create a valid K Diags card, or booted
in Einstein.
>> But now I'm thinking about it again and wondering... why would K Diags have an option to copy itself to internal flash?  Once you do it, what happens?  Has anyone done it?  If you did, could you then dump all the internal flash blocks out the serial port, and then boot Einstein with that flash file and then would it work?
> Yes, Frank confirmed, that the app have that option and you can make a copy to another card.

Right, but internal flash isn't a card, so perhaps when it is written to
internal there might be jump tables or other memory addresses changed
during the write process, which differ from the card copy process.

Or, when written to internal flash, does the eMate always start in K Diags?

I'm very interested in this, as I have been storing to have a large
number of eMates which are in various states of repair and functionality.

-Victor