[NTLK] Newton Toolkit on 64 bit Windows 7?

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sat Jul 11 10:09:13 EDT 2020

> On Jul 10, 2020, at 14:55, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
> it seems that you can't use the Newton Toolkit (NTK) under Windows 7. I was
> able to install and launch it, but it immediately closes itself after
> showing the splash screen for a second or so.
>
> Has anybody out there managed to make this work? Maybe by making NTK undergo
> the same procedure the 64 bit version of the Newton Connection Utilities
> underwent?

I did not get NTK to run under Windows 7 or 10 either. I believe that Apple tries to access the COM ports directly instead of going through the OS calls, which is no longer an option with modern machines. I am to lazy though to go in-depth with a debugger. Using BasiliskII on WIndows 7 and running the Apple Classic MacOS NTK does work however, IIRC even with the serial ports.

You may also be able to get NTK to run on a Windows 98 emulator on top of your Windows & OS.