[NTLK] [ANN] mbedTLS 2.16.6 for NewtonOS

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Sun Jun 14 05:40:35 EDT 2020

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce a port of mbedTLS 2.16.6 for NewtonOS.
This library allows SSL connections and comes with a quick and dirty patch that allows IMAPS connections with Mail V.

It was developed on Einstein and tested on a MP2100. The code was compiled for armv3 and could work on earlier devices. Please note that it requires quite a lot of RAM and I am not sure it would work as is on an eMate 300 or a MP2000.
Theoretically, it should work with NIE 1.1 on a MP130, but lacking any such device I didn't test it.

The binaries are available on GitHub:
https://github.com/pguyot/mbedtls-NewtonOS/releases

Documentation, especially for developers, is here:
https://github.com/pguyot/mbedtls-NewtonOS/blob/master/README.md

The source code is available as well, including source code of a test application that demonstrates usage with HTTPS and IMAP with STARTTLS.

For the history of this port which originates from Pawel and Noah's Worldwide Online Newton Conference, I have just published a LinkedIn pulse article:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/diving-retro-computing-paul-guyot/

Regards,

Paul