[NTLK] Are we on for Newton Saturday #2 ?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Jun 15 12:24:55 EDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM Grant Hutchinson
<newtontalkmessages at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 14, 2020, at 9:39 AM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> >
> > - Discussion of Motorola Marco battery troubles (Marcos only run when
> > a charged battery is connected and the batteries are difficult to
> > disassemble)
>
> Ok, I’m very interested in this discussion. (Sorry I missed the gathering.)
>
> I have several Marco devices with unchargeable batteries and was wondering why none of them will boot up anymore. Believe it or not, I have one new-in-the-box Marco battery that I purchased on eBay last year. I have yet to attempt charging it, as I don’t really want to accidentally risk damaging it.

I think this discussion was before Pawel started recording, but
hopefully I'm wrong. A more detailed summary:

Sir iZaac showed off a Marco battery that can maintain about a 1
minute charge and can boot his Marco, also confirming that a charged
battery is required. Pawel has several Marcos, at least one of which
is supposed to have been in working order, but none boot with his
batteries despite attempts at reconditioning them.

Pawel did have an extra battery that he once attempted to disassemble,
but found it impossible to do so without destroying the battery pack
due to the strength of the glue. He has to find the disassembled
battery to document, but postulates that maybe a similar method to
Frank's for MessagePad 2x00 (carefully sawing the pack open) might be
possible. He that there is charge circuitry in the Marco battery pack,
so there was further discussion about whether a dummy pack could be
made or maybe a 3D printed pack for AA batteries.

--
Morgan
---