[NTLK] In layman's terms... (was: Developer news)

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Fri Mar 6 18:31:14 EST 2020

We're making updates to development tools so that software for NewtonOS
can be written on modern operating systems.

Essentially, putting together what is called a "build system" in
software developer parlance: a collection of all the programs needed to
translate source code that humans write to some machine-readable form of
instructions that computers execute - the process of /compiling/ software.

Without such a build system that runs on modern operating systems, one
must have a Classic MacOS environment to run the original Newton
development tools (Newton Toolkit, and MPW with the Newton C++ tools)
just to compile NewtonScript or C++ code. Whether physical or emulated,
having to go back to this environment just to compile some code is a
tedious, manual, error-prone job - three things all software developers
/hate/. Having the build system be completely automated is the goal, the
fewer dependencies the better.

This is really important for Einstein development in particular - part
of Einstein's code runs inside the "virtual Newton" device. That part
has to be compiled with the Newton C++ tools.  Matthias came up with a
way to run those tools on modern computers without needing a Classic
MacOS setup.

-V