[NTLK] [OT] Virus research professor gets, explains Coronavirus panic

Tere tjggriffin1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:23:09 EDT 2020

Do not take the bait! Resist! Resist! Oh doo doo. Why am I doing this...

Several things about covid-19 are different to the flu. 1) Children show
far fewer symptoms. That means they will still go to school and spread the
infection, instead of staying home getting well. 2) It is much more
dangerous/deadly in older people and/or people with certain health
conditions. Even extensive, pervasive spread might not adversely effect
most people. It will, however expose many more susceptible people, to a
very real rick of death. 3) All the stats for flu you are comparing C-19 to
are with pretty well established vaccination programs and public awareness
campaigns in place. We don't have that yet for C-19. 4) C-19 can be
contagious for weeks, where as flu is contagious for days.

There is much we don't know about this coronavirus. How long does it
survive outside the human body? How many people are asymptomatic carriers?
How does fare in different seasons? How will future strains present? Could
it subside and then reappear like Ebola? How effective will a vaccine be
across strains? What does having flu, or something else and C-19 impact
mortality?

There is a bit of a paradox. If all the precautions are as effective as we
hope, then the epidemic will not be nearly as bad as predicated. It will be
difficult to say if that was because of the precautions or because it was
over hyped from the start. The only way to know for sure that an outbreak
is bad is if a lot of people are seriously effected. But even then, it can
be argued that the disease itself wasn't that bad, we just didn't do
enough. There are two roads. We can only go down one, and speculate about
the other.

Check out this article in Washington Post
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/>showing
how social distancing effect the spread of disease. It's a great example of
exponential growth.

--

- Tere