[NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Conditions in Costa Rica for the last two weeks

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Mon Mar 30 15:48:22 EDT 2020

> So, did you meet any Newtonians in Costa Rica?

Seems there aren't any. At least none that are subscribed to NewtonTalk and
interested in a get-together. What I posted hereof before my departure
didn't trigger any replies.

> How were the conditions there for the last two weeks?

My impression was that the Costa Ricans were both more relaxed and more
disciplined. I haven't, for example, seen a single case of panic buying.
Everything except for hand sanitization products and breath protection masks
is still available. Most tourist attractions are closed. Most restaurants
were still open when we left, but the maximum number of guests was limited,
and tables were spaced more widely. Not that that would have caused any
problems. Except for supermarkets, most restaurants and shops I've seen the
last two days before our departure were empty or almost empty. I found that
both comforting and very frustrating. Comforting because it drastically
reduced the infection risk, frustrating because honest people are currently
losing their lifetime achievements because no customers come.

For people who are healthy and hence not likely to be needing their national
health insurance in the foreseeable future, it might be a smart decision to
simply stay there. The number of infections and deaths is relatively low
compared to other countries, and finding accommodation wouldn't be a problem
because there aren't many tourists left and new ones don't come. However,
having a handful of relatives who have no one but my wife and me to depend
on when problems arise, we both feel better not being stuck in a country
that's almost ten thousand kilometers away from home.

Keep your distance. Wear breath protection. Stay at home if you can. But
support the shops around you when you need something. Most of them are
fighting for survival.

Frank