[NTLK] Starting up NewtonScript programming

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Sat May 2 11:43:09 EDT 2020

Would it be possible to create a Mac OS 8.0+ disk image for Basilisk II with all the Newton dev tools, instead of the 7.5.5 one we have now?  The non-sticky menus in 7.x are making me crazy.  :D

It looks like Basilisk is able to run some early versions of 8, and I was able to boot it with a blank hard drive image and a Mac OS 8 CD-ROM ISO -- but the Mac OS 8 installer wouldn't proceed past the splash screen, saying that it "couldn't install on this computer".  Not sure what it's checking for.  Maybe the ISO I have isn't the generic retail one.

Also, if I may recommend some changes to the default basilisk_ii_prefs:

frameskip 0			(much smoother frame rate, if you have a fast enough computer)
scale_nearest true		(don't antialias the emulated Mac screen)
scale_integer true		(same)

Steven