[NTLK] Transferring notes from MP2x00 and MacOS Mojave

Pawel Piotrowski newton at indigi.co.uk
Mon May 18 10:46:26 EDT 2020

> On 18 May 2020, at 09:58, Sylvain Pilet <sylvain at pilet.net> wrote:
>
> FTDI chip-based adapters do not need a driver on MacOSX 10.9 and higher, they are recognized by the system.

This is not exactly true. The only adapters can be recognised by MacOSX are adapters with ORIGINAL FTDI chipset. All counterfeit FTDI chipsets will NOT work without external drivers. So, if you have that counterfeit adapter you NEED to uninstall Apple FTDI kext file and then install separate FTDI driver. If you leave Apple adapter AND install external driver, the result will be that NOTHING will work - both original FTDI and/or counterfeit FTDI adapter.

How to recognise if you have adapter with original FTDI chipset: In System Information…, under USB section you should be able to find your adapter marked as ‘FT232R USB UART’, with proper Product ID and Vendor ID with 'Future Technology Devices International Limited’ as the value. If you have something else - your adapter contain counterfeit FTDI chipset (so you need special drivers). But…

I’ve never was able to run proper and stable Newton connection by using not original FTDI adapter. So, my suggestion is to do not be avaricious as a Scots (lol) and buy proper, genuine adapter. UGREEN and StarTech are good suppliers.

More info about FTDI adapters from FTDI: https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm <https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm>

Please remember that everything about is based only on my personal knowledge and practical tests. So, you can trust me, but I’m not engineer :)

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton 2100)