[NTLK] Newton Mail | SMTP NewtonCity: Error 500

Nic Malone nicmalone at mac.com
Sun May 24 06:59:41 EDT 2020

Hi Sylvain

> The reason why we can't send mail via the smpt.newtoncity.org
> service is because on Newton we can only use port 25
> (smpt.newtoncity.org:25) which is unencrypted (Newtons don't support
> ssl or tsl). By default port 25 is disabled in Citadel for security
> reasons, to prevent the service from being bombarded by spiders. As
> a result the smtp service rejects us when we try to send an email.
> On our Mac/PC or even on our smartphones this is not a problem
> because it communicates on port 587 which is active on Citadel.

This is odd as I have forced the smtp settings as port 25 on my Mac
("use custom port = 25") rather than leaving it to pick the best port
itself, and I can both send and receive email via NewtonCity on this
Mac (12" PowerBook).

> But opening port 25 or not is not really difficult, the concern is
> that then we also have to manage the security of the site…  ...

I can sympathise. I've been looking into setting up my own email
server but it looks hellishly complicated - so good luck! I found a
product called MailServe for Mac users that is supposed to make things
a bit easier (£30 with no trial period and you have to re-purchase
with every OS update! Good reviews for customer service though). Has
anyone here tried it? https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21572/mailserve

> Personally I get around the problem by using the smtp service of my
> Internet provider (Orange here in France) which still allows the use
> of port 25 on its (smtp.orange.fr:25) with my Orange ID of course.

You are lucky to have such a flexible email provider. My own (PlusNet
in the UK) blocks port 25 and it looks like Orange UK does too. Shame.
For now then, I'll try setting-up wired transfer for my notes, once my
DIN8-DB9 cable arrives.

Regards
Nic