[NTLK] Siemens Note Phone

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 15:40:36 EST 2020

Sylvain,

I've got a German NotePhone that was converted to US by Frank G. awhile
back.
Since the setup for the Base Unit is wired for the German telephone system
I had to research and fabricate my own telephone cabling to convert it for
the US which I did.
My NotePhone was able to be used as a telephone here in the US but
afterwards is an issue occurred with the Base Unit with the handset not
recognizing it was on the hook.
This causes the Base Unit to think it was in use (off the hook - handset
off the base unit).
I've discussed this problem with Frank but so far no solution has been
found to resolve this.
I believe it has to do with the electronics (parts) aging and when the Base
Unit's logicboard warms up the problem arises.
If it's cold it would work at times.
I've tried to contact some electronics repair shops to investigate what
could be the cause of this fault but without schematic for the Base Unit
logicboard this is impossible to someone like me who's not literate with
electronics at the board level.

So suffice to say I have a NotePhone (Newton) with a US logic board
installed.
With my NotePhone unit fully assembled (Base Unit withModem attached and
NotePhone Newton sitting in its cradle) it does work as a speakerphone.
Based on my discussion with Frank IIRC he did a test with my unit using the
Fax feature and that it worked. My NotePhone Newton should have a drawing
stored that he tested with.
Of course I could be mistaken as it's been quite a few years since our
discussion and I'll have to rely on Frank's memory or see if I can track
down my email conversation with him about this.
If I get a chance to locate the emails I'll report back, but I'm not sure
how much time I have or how readily it can be located. We will see.

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family