[NTLK] eMate Battery

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 3 20:19:57 EDT 2020

Hello and welcome to the NewtonTalk Network forum!

Your VERY FIRST CONCERN should be the hinge fix, not the battery.

EMates had a tragic flaw wherein one of the hinge springs for the display could eventually work itself loose and cut into the ribbon cable that connects the display. When that happens the display becomes unresponsive to stylus action, amongst other issues.

Frank Gruendel’s site (https://www.pda-soft.de/index.html ) is a wealth of information regarding mechanical and electronic issues for both the Newton AND the eMate. Here he shows how to repair the hinge and prevent the damage (known therefore as the HInge Fix). He also details how to rebuild an eMate battery.

EMate disassembly for hinge repair: https://www.pda-soft.de/en/hardware/emate/disassembly/disassembly.html

Battery rebuilding: https://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html

Frank also offers a repair service/battery pack rebuilding for a very reasonable (nominal) fee.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"