Re: [NTLK] (serial) AppleTalk to Ethernet

From: Alexey Danilchenko (alex_at_orbital.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 04:15:00 EDT

rmeili_at_biomail.ucsd.edu wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:36:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: rm <rmeili_at_biomail.ucsd.edu>
> Subject: [NTLK] (serial) AppleTalk to Ethernet
>
> Hi,
>
> just came across the Farallon specials
> page: http://www.farallon.com/sales/na/specials.html#top
>
> They are selling Ethermac PC(550C) and Printer adapters (552C) for $15 and
> $25. These are essentially the same thing except that 552C comes with a
> powersupply. For the 550C you need a 5V powersupply with a Zip style plug
> (The
> Zip drive supplys work fine)
>
> These adapters allow you to connect
> Newton-serial-Appletalk-Ethernet-Macintosh which can be handy for all
> non 2X00 users. The speed is quite decent.

The maximum speed is exactly the same as of serial AppleTalk connection (i.e. 230.4 Kb/sec). This thing (plus now outdated
Farallon EtherWave family) does nothing else than provides external clocking for the serial channel. As documentation for
the Newton Interconnect Port says it may allow speeds of transfer up to 2 Mbit/sec. But as you can guess this speed needs a
specific serial driver. As far as I know - Farallon site does have only drivers for MacOS (and only for older versions - so
MacOS 9 is not supported - tried it myself). Without the driver - this thing will operate as usual AppleTalk connection.

The only benefit you will have is that it will act as bridge between Newton serial connection and Ethernet network.

There are also some pitfalls. Working with about 1/4 of 10Mbit ethernet speed this adapter won't cope well with incoming
ethernet traffic (it will be too fast for it).

Alex