[NTLK] <no subject>

From: kenn lowy (klowy_at_wrinklemuzik.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 17:01:11 EDT

drew,

first of all, don't do it. i gave up my newton for a palm 2 years ago. two
months ago i tossed the palm and i'm now back using the newton full time. i
found myself constantly looking for the newton way to do anything on the
palm. no handwriting recognition, no multi tasking and an OS that's built
for kids. can't print from palm, can't fax, no ethernet (unless you dump
$200 for a card). the palm is slow and not very powerful. i dumped a lot of
money into the palm hoping it would become something usable like the newton.
it just made me sad. i still have my palm. the only thing i miss is omnisky
and wireless email.

that's my 2 cents.

klowy
nyc

Hey Team!

As I explained in another note, I am trying to make a final decision about
the fate of my Newt as a part in my life. Really, it is more machine than I
need to carry around in my arm, and I really want to carry something in my
pocket, especially since I already have one of the smallest laptops every
made (Sony 505f) that goes EVERYWHRE with me except into resturants,
groceries, theaters, etc.

I just helped one of my top leaders in my office get a Palm Vx. I would
really like to be compatible with him. I have been thinking about the
BackTalk software. But it seems for the price, I could almost just get a
Palm. But then the question becomes: Why Keep the Newton?

A few weeks ago, I asked a question about Palm vs. Newton. Several of you
responded with the fact that you use both. I even have a friend who I sold a
Newton to, now keeps his Newton by his bed for journal writing, and he uses
his Palm to manage his day. I will sell my Newton before just reserving it
to the bed side. IN fact, one of the reason I am justifying the Newton is
because I have so much, and it can do so much. But then I have my Sony 505f
that is not much bigger than the Newton, and just as capable AND it goes
alomst every with me.

But my question now, as I have been spending a lot of time the past two
weeks considering getting a Palm IN ADDITION to my Newton. For $100 I can
basically get a Palm V and it will do what I need. But how on earth am I to
maintain to address books? Do you all use the Newton for Scheduling or Names
at all anymore? Or does it just become a small computer, and you use the
Palm ofr names and calendar? It seems like if the Newton is not needed for
Names and Dates, for the most part, I cna jsut use my laptop.

The only justification I can find to keep my Newton is that I love to take
it to church as it has 3 translations of the bible. In fact, I from time to
time, use it for other times when I read things like that, that the laptop
is just not there. I realize there are plenty of things like that for the
Palm, but now we are talking about more and more duplicating what I have the
Newton for, buying more software, and now the Palm V is not enough, etc.

Sorry to bring this back up, but this indecision is costing me time and
money, and patience on my wifes part. I have been thinking that aquiring
this Mac 6100 (even Dos compatible) that I might be able to help restore the
functionality of my Newton to some degree. But I have got to figure out what
to do, and quick. I feel bad also that I have psent 100's of hours trying to
figure out syncing with the Newt, and 1,000s of hours making my Newton work
like it does, and I don't even feel like I take full advatage of it in my
daily life like I should. But how much more time and I to spend to be
efficient? But what is worse, is how much time am I going to spend to learn
a new platform, espcially if I am trying to figure out how to intrigate both
into my life.

The purpose of this note, is for anybody with any insight, please share. I
am really trying to productive and efficent. IN fact, because I frequently
spend so much time with stuff that doesn't make any money in my business, I
am considering selling my Newton just because I need the money. But, the
real question is for those that are using both. What roll does the Palm
play, versus the Newt?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Drew