[NTLK] rather telling anecdote

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:12:09 EDT

This past week, while on vacation in the Outer Banks
in North Carolina, I had sent my MP2Ku into Apple for
repair. (I figured, people have been reporting that it
takes about a week, and hopefully by the time I come
home, it should be waiting for me).
As a backup, I used my trusty MP120 (upgraded from
os1.3 to 2.0!)Feeling rather glum about not having my
MP2K with me, I didn't expect to use the 120 too much.
Imagine my surprise when one evening while looking at
the phase of the moon, I commented to my wife, "I
wonder when the next full moon is?" (North Carolina is
famous for it's "Carolina Moon"). My wife replied
"let's ask 'the Newton', it knows everything!" Sure
enough, the application "Newton Moon" was sitting on
my Newt, and it informed me that August 4th is the
next full moon. Needless to say, on August 4th, I was
out on the beach at 8:30pm, catching one of the most
spectacular moon rises I had seen in ages!

On another day, we met up with some friends for drinks
and when the tab came, everyone whipped out their
Palms trying to "calculate" what everyone owes.
Everyone had a different number and no one agreed on
an ammount. Not thinking about my Newt, my wife once
again came to the rescue. She loudly proclaimed to the
assembled group that "the Newton can help, it knows
everything". Sure enough, the application "PEC
TipCalc" was sitting on my Newton and within a few
taps, I had our bill broken down to individuals!
Needless to say, all were impressed, only later to be
depressed when I said that the Newton couldn't be
purchased at any store. All that week, I found myself
using such applications as "HyperFocal" to figure out
Depth of Field for photography, "Therm" by Robert
Stone to get current temperatures, AlarmClock to get
up in time for the beach! And "Comfort" to determine
the "humiditure" at the beach! So, at a time when I
felt I wasn't going to really be using my Newt, I
found myself using it more than I usually do on
vacation!
(side note, my wife had no knowledge of the
applications on my Newt, she just has that high of a
confidence level in the Newton!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...