[NTLK] AW: My repaired Newt

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 03:04:39 EDT

Ed wrote:

Well, I got my Newt back from Apple. Like most people
on this list, I am impressed with what I got back...
... and they fixed everything and put it all in a new
case! It looks like a brand new Newt! ...
They even retained my upgrade to 2100!
[Johannes Wolf] unfortunately that is NOT the case in Europe: they say that they cannot replace the display and the price is much higher, depending on what is defect on the Newton. First they claim a fee for transportation and then a fee for a inspection to find out if and what they can repair. Finally you pay extra for the repair itself....
I stopped this process for my defect Newt after step 2 ...

One thing though...when I restored my Newt from
backup, I then performed a search on Notes and got an
error when trying to select an item. I got this error
whenever I used a search to select an individual item
from the resulting list. I never had this problem
before...Searching the FAQ, I found that the OS Patch
710031 fixed a similar problem (I was running 717260)
I installed this patch and my search problems went
away...
Has anyone else experienced this?
[Johannes Wolf] I have a german version of the MP2k1 and there is installed the system ROM-version D-2.1 (747129)-0.
The 4 MB of heap are detected properly (memory info in Extras), but the displayed heap (Avis Backdrop and Dash board) does not display a heap size bigger than 170 k, even if I remove all programs and extensions, running the built in applications only.
Even more strange is the fact that sometimes the Newt is unable to locate the Extras Folder or Settings or Extensions: I get an error message. But the second try mostly works...
I realized that there is a german patch 747 260: I tried to install this and after that I was not able to proceed further than the first three or for steps before the Newt stuck, nothing helped. So I had the problem to remove the patch which is nearly impossible.
But with a rude hardware-Method I succeeded killing the patch and getting back the 747 129...
I have no clue what is wrong with this machine, it came from store and has not been used before.

But for me it sounds curious that Ed installed an "older version" 710031 over the "newer" 717260 ???

Johannes