Re: [NTLK] wearing out internal memory? (longish)

From: Eric Byrne (ericbyrne_at_eircom.net)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 21:16:32 EDT

Hello list,
in connection with my original message regarding wearing out the Newton's
internal memory,
Laurent Daudelin wrote regarding bad blocks in flash ram;

> I'm not an expert in the field, but I thought I've read some comments
> from Paul Guyot, who has been working extensively in the store area of
> the Newton OS and I kinda of remember him mentioning that the built-in
> drivers in the OS wouldn't be able to deal with those bad blocks, that
> the only way to salvage the card would be to try to format it on a
> Windows laptop with some specific utility program I don't remember.
>
> This is all out of my memory, so don't quote me on this, but I thought
> I've read some comments from Paul about that problem. Maybe he will
> comment further when he gets back from vacation...

Sorry to quote you on this, but I remember the same thing, hence my original
post.
But this may only apply to storage cards and not internal ram, although they
sound
similar in theory.
Hears hoping that Paul Guyot can comment on this soon, or someone else knows
more about this,
as the long term use of my Newton is essential.
Again all comments and/or advice would be appreciated.
yours,
Eric byrne.

P.S. perhaps it would be possible to write a utility that would overcome
these problems,
pity Paul Guyot is still on holidays.