[NTLK] Newton-friendly ISPs?

From: Rodney Rothstein (rothstein_at_cuccfa.ccc.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 13:42:45 EDT

For Elliot, here is a copy of some info from January. I have since
changed to Earthlink and have had no trouble at all in the US or in
France or the Netherlands. By the way, the connection to the
ATTGlobalNet NYC number described below, works with both a Motorola
Power 14.4 modem and with a Hayes 28.8.

On January 22, 2001, Rodney Rothstein wrote to AT&TGlobalNet and got
no response:

I have a Apple Newton MP2100, which I have successfully used on
occasion to connect to ibm.net and more recently attglobal.net for
the past several years. I have been unable to connect for the last
couple of months. This is only with my Newton; my PowerBook G3 works
fine all around the world (as advertised!). Today something truly
strange happened. I found that I can connect my Newton just fine to
the NYC number (212-796-1822). This true from New York City or as a
long distance call from Maplewood, NJ (where I live). I cannot for
the life of me connect to the two NJ numbers (973-766-4505 or 973
776-5705) that I tried (or from Paris where I tried three weeks ago).

Has there been some change in the software on your modem pools? Has
it been implemented only on some machines? Is there someone who can
talk to me about this while I am logging in to see where the hang-up
is? Please don't direct me to the
http://help.attglobal.net/helptopics.html pages on your website. I
have identified a real problem and I need real help.