Re: [NTLK] Newton to iBook

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 16:41:52 EDT

Hi Anthony,

>I'll (hopefully) have a Newton soon if I stop being
>outbid on these darn eBay auctions. When I get one, I'll need a way to
>connect it to my iBook. The major factor is price. Any brand/product
>recommendations? Also, would it be easier/cheaper to hook it up via
>ethernet? Would I need a hub, or would just a standard ethernet cable (or
>even a crossover cable) work? I'll probably go the ethernet route if I wind
>up with a Newt that comes with an ethernet card of some sort.

Ethernet is definitely the best way to connect 2.1 devices (MP2x00
and emate 300). It won't work with 2.0 devices (MP120/2.0 and MP130).

However, you need a connection to your Newton if a problem occurs
(i.e. you lose everything) or at least for the first connection.
Indeed, ethernet requires, in addition to a card (see the FAQ or
Victor's website for the list of compatible cards), a couple of
packages (the driver and related software). And without any
connection, you won't be able to install them.

So if you get a 2.1 device, I suggest that you get a USB/Serial
connection first, and when you'll be tired of waiting for ages while
doing your weekly backup, or if you want to get fast internet access
and why not use your Newton as an HTTP server to amaze your friends
and make your enemies green. (NPDS runs on MP130s as well).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/