[NTLK] eMate & batteries, redux

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 22:12:08 EDT

Well, although my solution worked admirably to reset the eMate's ability to
charge, it would seem that my battery is indeed (going) bad.

I had two successive charges last for over 24 hours (with about 33% usage),
but all charges after that have been of steadily decreasing value. Now I
can use the eMate for maybe an hour straight before recharging. Worse, it
will only last for 4-5 hours with no use. I sense that one or more cells
have developed some appreciable internal resistance and are self-discharging
at a rapid pace.

Ah well, looks like it is time to grab the soldering iron, buy 4 fresh NiMH
AA cells, and consult the FAQ for Robert Benschop's excellent instructions
for rebuilding the battery pack.