Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 02:47:50 EDT

on 8/14/01 1:40 AM, Steve Lombardi at stevelombardi_at_mac.com wrote:

> Of course OS X supports Appletalk! I use it all the time to transfer
> files between Macs.

Can I poke my nervous little head in here to suggest that maybe the
confusion is over the terms? LocalTalk is the cabling and hardware standard,
but AppleTalk is the software protocol. I don't think I have the terminology
right, but with LocalTalk (hardware) you can run an AppleTalk network
(software) You can also run Appletalk over ethernet (hardware) and an IP
(internet-style) network. The problem is that OS X no longer runs the
hardware spec called LocalTalk, which makes all those PhoneNet adapters I
have now useful for basically the landfill--excepting that I still have
three, no four computers that can use these. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland