Re: [NTLK] 3Com 3C589D

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 23:04:24 EDT

on 14/08/01 10:12, Mikebridg_at_aol.com at Mikebridg_at_aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 14/8/01 9:50:28 am, andreas_at_lindkvist.com writes:
>
> << http://www.lindkvist.com/newton_ethernet >>
>
> I am a bit new to all this - how do I download these as packages - I just get
> the text file if I doble click!

If you're on a Mac, that's probably because the file type and creator has
been lost for those packages. On a Mac, there is 2 pieces of information
with every file that tells the Finder how to associate a file with a given
application and what icon to display. Those information are hidden from the
user, but with the right tool, you can restore them.

Try to use PackType. You just drop the "orphaned" package file over
PackType's icon and it should reset the file type and creator correctly.

You can get it at
<http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PackType>.

-Laurent.