Re: [NTLK] GPS/GIS Questions... Help please!

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 18:36:10 EDT

> Specifically I was wondering what type of receiver station one would
need
> to be able to sync the Newton, I would assume a uMP2000/2100, to a
satellite
> in order to get maps, routing information (such as directions when
> travelling), and/or simple GPS points for locations?
Technically speaking would it be not so easy to get the map of a special
region transferred to one single GPS receiver somewhere 18km down on earth.
The GPS receiver is a silly (actually not so silly) piece of silicon which
determines the distance to visible sattelites. The output is then
LON/LAT/ALT and it's up to you what you're are doing with it. Some GPS
receivers are combined with moving map displays and the like toys. However,
no commercially available solution can determine its position and get the
local map information from e.g. the internet. Only the Newton could,
provided a working GSM connection and a reasonable and lean map service.

This leads me to another quite theoretical question: Is there an internet
rendering machine which can display PICT or vector based images? I think
something like this would help to minimise the amount of data a lot. A map
could be transferred much quicker, depending on its complexity.

Marco