Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 16:44:13 EDT

on 8/17/01 9:11 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
wrote:

> I don't understand this affirmation. Please, explain how Windows would
> better support Newtons than Classic on OS X?

Er, I didn't say Classic on OS X, but than OS X. How long can you continue
using Classic applications as all the rest of the programs you use migrate
to X? At some point, people will find it too much trouble to launch Classic,
just to "sync" their Newton, and then, you have the problem with people
moving forward with other contact programs. I, for instance, have moved on
to Now Contact 4. I no longer have the ability to sync with my names.
bummer. This makes my Newton less useful than it used to be. The day I
migrate to X is the day I will seriously have to consider if it's worth
hacking and fudging to keep my Newton going. It seems that Windows users, at
the moment, at least, have retained most of the functionality, and have such
programs as Outlink and stuff to keep their Newtons going, as well as the
fact that NCU Win seems to be running fine under the newer Windows environs.
This is a plus over X no matter how you look at it (keeping "Classic" out of
the picture). I hope I've explained myself clearly enough, and I _sincerely_
hope that my analysis is wrong enough to be challenged and corrected, either
by proof that Windows is in the same boat, or that there is stuff coming
under X. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams