Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 04:33:03 EDT

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Marco Mailand wrote:

> > Regarding AppleTalk, file sharing, and X: I believe X uses AppleTalk just
> > for discovery of services, and then uses IP thereafter.
> Which should be understood by the Newton. Maybe N doesn't want the
> transition... :-(

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about how all this stuff is
working. The Dock application on the Newton uses serial or AppleTalk,
nothing else. It can not transistion over to TCP/IP in any possible
way. The application running on your desktop can't either. It's a
different networking standard. Apple's file sharing protocols can work via
AppleTalk or TCP/IP, which is why they can switch over. It's built in to
the applications themselves.

Personally I don't think it matters if the support is in native or
classic. There's been some confusion about drivers, but there is one thing
to think about: drivers can be quite low level. You could, for example,
let Classic directly access the Ethernet card and see all packets coming
in. If X did this, then classic would be able to support networking
protocols that X didn't natively support. Printer drivers were
mentioned. All driver access does go through OS X. But if, say, a USB
printer driver for classic exists, it can use OS X's _USB_ driver to
provide printing under classic. It's still passing through OS X's driver
layer, just at a lower level than you may expect.

SOrry if this is long winded or incomprhensible, just wanted to explain a
bit of stuff here...

gopi.