[NTLK] bad, bad vacation flags

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 23:45:55 EDT

Okay. I discovered a problem with the list configuration.

The problem has to do with Listar's detection of bad e-mail addresses.
After a certian number of error messages trying to send a message, it will
take an action either to unsubscribe the person or set the vacation flag
on their address. When I was just starting the list, I had this set to
unsubscribe in order to prune out messages that had expired from
PlanetNewton.com's list.

Later on, I changed this configuration to set people to vacation instead
of unsubscribing them. However, the rules as to when action would be
taken were still too strict, and didn't take into account transient mail
server errors.

As a result, I think around 100 people have had the VACATION flag set on
their subscription in error, and thus have not been recieving the list for
some time. (I am BCCing this message to everyone with VACATION)

To rectify this, I will be unsetting ALL vacation flags for all
subscribers. This means that those validly using VACATION might get
messed up; I apologize. Resetting these flags will let Listar reprocess
them again.

I intend to do the above ASAP. Again, I'm sorry for this mix-up. If you
have any questions or concerns, as always, e-mail me at the address below.