Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 03:49:53 EDT

on 22-08-2001 4:02, Paul Nuernberger at pen1_at_spiff.net wrote:

> No, it is known that plugging in the internal memory upgrade wipes out your
> memory - I would suspect that is because it causes the unit to upgrade to a
> 32-bit data path, thereby making all the original data nul$void as far as
> usability.

True.

> I have pulled my eMate battery both with & without the AC connected with no
> ill side effects except having to re-orient the digitizer (tapping 3 X's on
> the display).

True as well, but I've seen it happen also that the battery was removed and
nothing was left after putting it back again.
I know, defies logic, however complies with the Newton axiom that one should
make a backup every time you do a major change in your Newt be it soft or
hardware.

So Frank, I checked and there isn't really a "official" reason to put it in
and my experience (though now that I've checked my memory I have to admit it
only happened once, might have been a bad capacitor, who knows) but who
wants to chance their data in that way ?

So maybe a recommendation to do a backup would be enough.

Robert Benschop