Re: [NTLK] My flash card problem (formerly no subject)

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 16:23:50 EDT

Here is what I wrote that started this:

>First of all, I must apologise if any of you have read this before.
>I have sent it in twice and haven't seen it in the digest, let alone
>any response to it.
>Whenever I remove my Apple 2 Meg flash card, my Newton waits a moment
>and then restarts, telling me that a system error caused the system
>to restart. Then it shows four of the packages on the card as if
>crossed out. But after I close the window with the card info on it,
>these disappear. I don't have this problem with my Dell Crosswords
>card (which is write-protected, of course). What is wrong with my
>card?
>
>-James
>
>--
>The James Elliott Newton Site:
>http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
>WinCE Makes Me Wince
>
>------------------------------
>

>Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:40:26 -0500
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] (no subject)
>From: Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net>
>

>You don't mention what these packages are. Could they something which is
>adding functionality to the Newton ?
>
>They are obviously something which the Newton thinks it needs for some
>reason (at the point of eject). The fact that they appear 'crossed out'
>shows that the Newton recognizes that they are not available at restart. The
>fact that they disappear would seem to indicate that the Newton recognizes
>they are no longer, in fact, on the unit at all.
>
>What 'window with the card info on it' are you speaking of. If you remove
>the card, and the unit restarts, are you immediately reinserting the card
>during the restart (bad idea, by the way) ?
>
>A little more info please (package names & what window).
>
>Paul Nuernberger

I don't reinsert the card, but wait until the Newt is done
restarting. The packages that appear to be crossed out are
XP-Custom, X-Port, Nick's TestIt, and a book that I accidentally
deleted. The window I spoke of is the one that you see when you tap
"Card".

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:42:43 +0200
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] (no subject)
>From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
>

>When you remove the card, do you get a message that a package needs the
>card, and asking you to re-insert the card? If so, do you do so? I can't
>imagine what could be causing such an error. I swap a 2 and 4 meg card
>regularly, and have never seen this. Could you give the names of the
>packages? I suppose it's possible that they are not expecting to be on the
>card. Which model of Newton? Which OS?
>--
>-Jon Glass
>Krakow, Poland
><jonglass_at_usa.net>
><glasshaus5_at_aol.com>
>
>"Our Constitution was made
>only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the
>government of any other." --John Adams

I get no messages when I unlock it, but it pauses for the length of
time that it would normally take it before the icons disappear and
then it restarts. As for OS and model I have a 120 (2.0).

>From: "Kevin LaCombe" <klacombe_at_ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] Problem with my only writable flash card
>Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:07:56 -0700
>

>What type of newton do you have? Have you tried to reset without activating
>packages (hold the stylus point down on the left hand side of the screen
>about a 1/4" from the edge during the reset, your newton will ask if you
>want to activate internal packages, tap YES or NO and still hold the stylus
>down near the edge, then it will ask if you want to activate card packages,
>tap NO)? If that works, see if you can remove the bad packages in card
>overview. If not, and you have a MP2x00 newton, contact me off list about a
>replacement card offer.
>
>Kevin

I haven't tried that, but I will.

I am also going to look through the card and see if I accidentally
put any extensions on it.

I really appreciate all your help.

-James