Re: [NTLK] Word processor and spreadsheet HELP

From: sbeesley_at_smartchat.net.au
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 07:48:23 EDT

-------------------------------------
Maybe you guys can help me. I just got an MP 130. I'm new to the
Newton world and will have many questions. First off I would like a
more powerful word processing app. and a spreadsheet. Availworks might
suit my purposes but at $80 it is hardly a bargain. That's how much I
paid for my Newton! A text editor and a nice algebraic calculator would
be fine. If you guys have any solutions they would be much appreciated.

Well I know that this is fairly old post but I cannot remember there being many responses. Anyway I could not resist the opportunity to put in my 2c worth.

I am lucky enough to have a uMP2k (and now a Jornada Pocket PC - but that is another story....) and find NewtWorks a very useful and useable package. I have, however, also used my MP130 pretty extensively for note taking and light word processing duties. Although I have tried AvailWorks at times I never really took to it and instead found that the addition of a number of add on packages made notepad a lot more useable for word processing.

In particular I found the following software very useful:

- Merlin/Wordslueth for spell checking and thesaurus (still a commercial programme but well worth the money IMO);
- Style+ for additional fonts etc;
- The Whole Text for selecting blocks of text;
- Styles button for quick access to the stlyes pallet;
- Outline styles and Hilite 2000 (Byte-Size software);
- Big notes from Standalone Software;
- Note scroller.

I am sure that there are others but I cannot think of them right now. Supernotepad from Standalone is another package that might be worth looking at - although it is another one that I never really took to.

HTH
Stephen Beesley