Re: [NTLK] play "MP3" files how to do it

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 08:04:37 EDT

From: "Gregory J. Wayman" <gwayman_at_mac.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] play "MP3" files how to do it
Mark Rollins wrote:
>> I just found the best way to work with MP3 files; part of this was
>> written up before.

>I downloaded sunrise, were do you access it? It is an extension.
>Nothing in prefs,I/O, or note pop up that I see.

It should be in the Preferences (hint - scroll down!) if installed
correctly. You may need to power off & on.

>I have tried Mp3 files in soundIcon (as well as wav) and I get an error
>that It doesnt rec. this type of file. Please go into a little more
>detail.

Who doesn't recognize? MacOS, SoundIconMaker or NCU? If it's
SoundIconMaker, you either have an unregistered version (sound file too
big) or the file you are converting is the wrong file type.

From the SoundIconMaker manual (which is not a book about a Spanish
guy)

"Sound Icon Maker accepts both System 7 Sound and AIFF sound files.
However they must meet the following requirements:
1) Uncompressed sound samples
2) Monophonic (single channel)
3) 8 or 16 bit.
4) Standard sampling rates of 8000Hz, 8012Hz, 10800Hz, 11025Hz, 11127Hz,
21600Hz, 22050Hz, 22254Hz, or 44100Hz."

You have to convert an MP3 to an AIFF 8 bit mono (smallest file size)
before SoundIconMaker will recognize it.
I use QuickTime Pro (the upgrade to the IEEE standard QuickTime).

Mark Rollins
mark_at_mrollins.com
www.mrollins.com