Re: [NTLK] wireless LAN access from an mp2k

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:20:27 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, doppler wrote:

> i want to hook up my newt to one of the two available 802.11b cards (afaik,
> there are currently two compatible cards:
> - proxims range lan 2
> _ lucents waveLAN.

Correct, although the WaveLAN driver is in a very early stage and probably
not very usable for most people.

(If you didn't hear about this, check out this message from the archive:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=99610004315536&w=2 )

Note that the Proxim RangeLAN2 and any 802.11[b] cards are NOT
interoperable.

> is there any one who has tried this and can give me some buying advice? i
> have so far located the following pages of interest:
>
> http://www.proxim.com/products/rl2/7420.shtml
> http://www.proxim.com/products/rl2/7410.shtml

I own and use a RangeLAN2 7410 card in my Newton (haven't used it over the
summer, but it will go into active service again once I move back to
Guelph for school next week). Of course, you'll need another RangeLAN2
card on the other end of the connection. To do this, I used a Proxim
Symphony PCI card, which can talk to RangeLAN2 hardware, and was also
considerably cheaper and easier to find than my 7410 PCMCIA card. My
setup is (ASCII drawing ahead):

| Cable Modem |------> | Linux Router/Firewall | ----> | Apt. Network |

                            | Symphony PCI wireless
                            \> Newton MP2100

I use the Linux RL2 drivers from www.komacke.com. You could accomplish
the same thing with either Windows 2000 or Windows 98 Internet connection
sharing. AFAIK, Proxim has no MacOS drivers for any of their hardware.