Re: [NTLK] Carpman has left the Arena.

From: Samuel Jacobson (jacobson98_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 20:24:23 EDT

> As a newcomer to the Newton I would have to say that it certainly is not
> dead. While there may indeed be a dearth of developers and limited
support
> it's real utility is still quite unchallenged. Certainly one should not
pine
> for Apple to crank up the presses so to speak, and start really
supporting
> the unit as if it were a part of their current product stable. Almost no
> company can do that forever. However, the Newton can live on indefinitely
> through the concerted efforts of the many dedicated people around the
world
> who do use it, who continue to use it and those like myself who are just
> getting started. I for one would definitely be willing to contribute
monies
> on an ongoing basis to support a sort of Newton super site where all
things
> Newton could be found and where things can be incubated and developed
from.
> This is truly a worthy goal if one is willing to make the commitment.
Being
> new to the Mac platform in general I have been struck by the real sense
of
> community that Apple users engender. You just do not see that with
Windows
> users. It reminds me of people who, like myself, love Land Rover
vehicles.
> There are a lot of 30,40 & 50 year old Land Rovers on the road and you
can
> get all manner of help and support for them all over the world. Land
Rovers
> are an addiction. Once you are bitten you can never shake it. I feel that
Mac
> users/Newton users feel and are the same way. I know I am. It is a true
> spirit of community that binds Mac users the world over and this aspect
has
> definitely been a part of the longevity of the Apple idea. I am sure that
if
> people were not as devoted to the Mac as they are Apple would have been
gone
> a long time ago.
> Well I hope I didn't go on to long or speak out of place. You can put me
on
> any list there is to support the Newton. And as they say in Latin:
> 'Fortitudine Vincimus' (through endurance we conquer)
>
> Cheers,
> William

William,

  Nice analogy and thoughts. I do agree that, while also being new to the
Newton community (since around March), I have also found the people who
operate, support, and patron the list to be both very helpful and most
gracious. On more than one occasion I have needed assistance and have
inquired into the group for help. And, while doing so, I have often
wondered if I am bothering people for my questions as, I feel, they are
generally routine and mundane. Yet the group has been very welcoming and
supportive in my questions and endeavors. Thus I do hope that it continues
the way it is, and does indeed become like the Land Rover community you
mention (it is well on its well, I believe).

  Welcome to the group!

Always,

Sam