[NTLK] Appletalk over Megahertz (was Pesky auto delete...)

From: Michael Drabicki (drabicki_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 15:47:45 EDT

The story so far... The Drab (aka Mike Drabicki) has acquired a
UMP2000 without a serial dongle and a 3Com Megahertz 3CXE589DT LAN
card, unfortunately he cannot establish an Appletalk connection over
Ethernet.

While using the FAQ The Drab found info about installation of the
drivers needed. Unbeknownst to The Drab, he was looking in the wrong
spot. Thanks to the efforts of Robert Benschop, The Drab was back on
track or so I thought...

Method of installing packages: established a connection with MP130,
installed these packages in this order to a flash card in the MP130:
Newton Devices.pkg (from NIE 2.0), FarallonEthernet.pkg and 3c589.pkg.

I brain wiped the UMP2000 (NOS 2.1 717260). I then removed card from
MP130 and put in UMP2000. I moved packages to the internal store in
the order as above. I reset the UMP2000. I inserted the 3Com
3CXE589DT and got a slip that says: There is a problem with this card
(Newton cannot recognize this type of card.) Message is from both
slots.

I set up Appletalk on the UMP2000 in Preferences with Connect using
Ethertalk and Card as Megahertz 589DT. Launched NCU on G4 MacOS 9.2
with Appletalk set over Ethernet. Set NCU to Appletalk only. Hooked
up Ethernet crossover cable (works with Duo23000c) between machines.
Selected Dock on UMP2000. Connect via Appletalk and Connect to Home.
I then selected Choose Other. A slip pops up with: There is a problem
opening the chooser. (-61001)

Is this the Chooser on the G4 or the UMP2000? Suggestions?

Can The Drab and his faithful sidekicks UMP2000 and MP130 defeat the
evil problem? Will they need a serial dongle? Or will the mighty
Dongle Destroyer from PCBman be pressed into service? Stay tuned for
the further adventures of Appletalk over Megahertz!

--
Mike Drabicki
WhizBang! Visuals

Yell. Jump. Play. Out-run those sons-of-bitches. They'll never live the way you live. Go do it. --Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing